Song of the Moment

Song of the Moment: "Shake it Out" by Florence + The Machine

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Need For Original Movies

Photo Credit:
Paramount Pictures
We've seen it happen in the past and quit frequently of late.  Our favorite movies are being remade.  Movies we loved growing up have been given a face lift, or a botched one in some cases.  Sometimes it turns out OK but most times it turns out to be a waste of money, or just a joke.  The idea that sparked this post was when I saw the trailer for the Footloose remake.  That is one of my all time favorite movies and to be honest, I was excited when I heard it was going to be remade since it's a great story.  When I saw the trailer I realized that they didn't revamp it and change some things to make it original.  They took the original and just copied it with updated music and new actors!  All of the characters are the same and even the name of the town is the same!  I'm sorry, but I'm a big fan of the saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."  Footloose is an iconic movie from the 80s that didn't need a copycat.
Photo Credit:
Paramount Pictures

It's not even the fact that Hollywood is remaking one of my favorite movies because they know they can make a few bucks that bugs me.  It's the fact that there are so many great screen writers out there that have really great original ideas and they aren't the ones that are getting their big breaks.  It's the people that rewrite something that was already great.  What makes you so special?  We need more movies that we haven't already seen before.  Step it up Hollywood!  Give me something I want to watch and not know how it will end.

As I was writing this post I was trying to come up with a remake that I actually liked.  There is one movie in particular that is one of my favorites, although I haven't seen the original so it probably doesn't count since I have nothing to compare it to.  The Italian Job, originally released in 1969, starring Michael Caine, was remade in 2003.  The remake is one of my favorite movies.  I can't tell if it's the actor's in the film that make in special for me, or if it was the story in general.  If it's the story, then my love for it stems from the original and has nothing to do with the remake.  Although, the original was made in 1969 and being that I'm in my late 20s, it wouldn't have been likely that I would watch the original.  So, in remaking epic or iconic movies, Hollywood could be creating a new generation of fans of one particular movie.  Children who are still growing up or are in their teens may go to see Footloose and fall in love with the story, just like I did with the original.  This new epiphany I've just had totally defeats the purpose of the beginning of this post, but at least I've come to realize that maybe Hollywood knows what they're doing (most of the time).  I'll still be angry when I see movies I love being remade.  That won't change.  Just stay away from The Sound of Music and Pretty in Pink or there will be hell to pay!

No comments:

Post a Comment